Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sometimes I think that I’m Bigger Than the Sound: A YeahYeahYeahs Non-Review

I am in no way qualified to hold “The Enemy” title so rather than try to review I will write as the fan that I am. So the start Karen O is a truly inspiring female artist and I know you know this but if you haven’t seen them live you can’t fully understand her ability to move and connect. I must have creamed my pants at least 7 times because the woman is fucking amazing. She wore this big-armed poncho-like shirt that attached at the crotch and was decorated with neon colored TexMex patterns. Underneath she wore tiny booty shorts. And for a few numbers she put on she black studded leather jackets with her initials on the back that was so rockin’ that I would wear it any day with the K.O lettering and all.

Obviously none of these are from the show but they are great examples of how rad her and her style are


Now I can’t recall the order of the entire set but they started with a dark stage, spot light on Karen singing the 7th track off their new album, "It’s Blitz!", Runaway. She moves slowly the entire time in and out of equally beautiful and awkward poses like a traditional Chinese dance. When the number is over the lights come up revealing the rest of the band and the backdrop consisting of a GIANT eyeball in the middle with blue sparkly rings around it. They kick it up at this time with "Show Your Bones" Gold Lion.

At this point I’d been standing near the back of the ground floor of the Electric Factory dancing with myself (went alone-love a good solo adventures) enjoying the wide array of fans. Mostly pushed to the front were the late-teen fans from the suburbs who made sure to belt their V-neck T’s, among them were also the wealthy suburban girls matched head to toe in big worn out T’s and tiny jeans. Scattered around were the band-crazed girls who had friends on each arms, one of them usually a gay man. And then their were the mid to late twenties crowd mostly made of tattooed, and wild-haired women and their boes. I could have been in the “band-crazed” category had I been adorned with some arm candy but going to shows by myself gives me an enormous sense of independence and lets me dance like a frantic epileptic until a stranger stops me and not the person I’m with. But then I ran into a friend and headed upstairs with him and his date.

I spent the next few songs kneeling on a drink shelf through some of my Yeah Yeah Yeah’s favorites including Soft Shock, Pin, Maps, and Skeletons. I was appreciative at this time for the back and forth pattern they created switching between new and older songs. Pin got me off at the first strum as one of my all-time fav’s of theirs. The shelf on which I perched was wet from past occupant’s beers and I nearly fell right over during the repeating “Dono” chorus. The crowd really went wild for a stripped down version of Maps. And although this song, easily their most well known, has been heard a million times over it still got me into a deep sentimental trance remembering all the “they don’t love you like I love you” moments I’ve had in my life (but this isn’t the time or place for such reminiscing) They finished off with their latest dance grooves Heads Will Roll and Zero.

I was so pleased with this set that I didn’t dare utter “I hope they play ___ in the encore” What they did play was a trashing mash up of "Fever to Tell" and "Show Your Bones" track’s that made me want to go out in the streets and break stuff. Among them were Date With the Night where she did indeed “walk on water” and Cheated Hearts, which had me singing louder than anyone around me (which I’m sure they all appreciated very much)


Needless to say I had a more-than-satisfying night complete with estrogen fused head shaking, balls out ass shaking and good, clean listening enjoyment. So please please please go see the Yeah Yeah Yeah’s if they’re in a town near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment